For Immediate Release, Feb. 27, 2023
Deb Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 419-307-2581
Josie Setzler, email@example.com, 419-559-3759
Demonstrators to gather at Norfolk Southern tracks in downtown Fremont to demand: Rail Safety NOW, Accountability for East Palestine
Where: Next to the Norfolk Southern rail crossing, W. State St. at Front St., Fremont
When: Wednesday, March 1, 4:00 – 5:00 pm
Sponsor: People for Peace & Justice Sandusky County
In the wake of the recent toxic derailment disaster in East Palestine, People for Peace & Justice Sandusky County will host a demonstration near the Norfolk Southern railroad crossing on W. State St. at Front St. in Fremont on Wednesday, March 1, 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm, to demand greater rail safety and accountability.
Members will stand in solidarity with the people of East Palestine. The demonstration makes the following demands:
- Congress must pass stricter laws on rail safety, including modern electronically controlled braking systems, hazardous materials transport regulation, and staffing requirements.
- Norfolk Southern must be held accountable to fully clean up East Palestine and pay damages to area residents impacted by the toxic contamination of air, water, and soil.
- The rail industry must stop short-staffing railroads, cutting inspections, maintenance, and training, and overscheduling its workers.
- Regulatory agencies must provide full transparency to the residents of East Palestine and surrounding communities.
- Protect community safety over railroad profits.
The train that derailed in East Palestine might have passed through Fremont or Sandusky on its eastward path that day. In fact, just last fall a Norfolk Southern train derailed in Sandusky spilling a large load of molten paraffin. Fremont, Sandusky, and any cities along a railroad line find themselves vulnerable in today’s lax regulatory environment that privileges rail industry profits over the safety of our communities.
The demonstration is sponsored by People for Peace & Justice Sandusky County and is open to the public.